Posted: July 26, 2022
Updated: August 24, 2022
The New Hampshire Fiscal Policy Institute seeks a leader with a passion for public policy and research, and the ability to nurture and lead a small team of talented professionals. NHFPI has a strong reputation for nonpartisan, high-quality, and credible analysis on important state issues such as the State Budget, income and poverty, education, health care, and tax policy. Candidates should have a strong appreciation for nonpartisan research, understanding of public policy, and strong nonprofit management skills to empower a high-performing, talented staff and provide leadership and direction that advances NHFPI’s growth and development.
WHO WE ARE
Founded in 2009, the New Hampshire Fiscal Policy Institute (NHFPI) is a highly regarded, independent, non-profit, nonpartisan organization dedicated to exploring, developing, and promoting public policies that foster economic opportunity and prosperity for all New Hampshire residents, with emphases on low- and moderate-income families, children, and historically disadvantaged and underserved populations. NHFPI educates elected officials, key stakeholders, and the public about complex economic and policy issues facing the Granite State. Our aim is to inspire informed debate and decision-making, advancing our vision of a fair and inclusive state where everyone can prosper. Through the organization’s high-caliber work, we are widely known as:
- A leader and a collaborator – We have been actively and visibly engaged in health, budget, and economic discussions in New Hampshire, providing a clear, strong, and independent voice in support of policies that meet the needs of low- and moderate-income families and individuals in the Granite State. We are viewed as a trusted partner and collaborator by organizations working on these important issues.
- A communicator – Our NHFPI blog keeps policymakers, the press, and the public apprised of State Budget, economic, and other policy matters. Our briefings inform legislators, other policymakers, and advocates on complex, pressing issues affecting low- and moderate-income people in New Hampshire.
- An analyst – We are the only statewide nonprofit organization that offers in-depth analysis of State Budget and policy issues. Our research and analysis are widely regarded as accurate and independent. Recent issue brief topics include expansion of the Earned Income Tax Credit and the advantages that public benefit navigators can provide.
- A convener – Our Budget and Policy Conference brings together elected officials, administrators, business and community leaders, and academic experts to identify needs and shape upcoming debates. We regularly host webinars and other virtual discussions.
NHFPI is supported by the New Hampshire Charitable Foundation, Endowment for Health, and New Hampshire Children’s Health Foundation as well as the Annie E. Casey Foundation, Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, and private donations. Two national networks comprised of state-level policy research organizations—the State Priorities Partnership and the Economic Analysis and Research Network—are regular collaborators.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director takes a leadership role in the following activities:
- Provide strategic direction and vision, in partnership with the Board, including developing and implementing a plan to deepen the impact and reach of NHFPI;
- Maintain, strengthen, and grow relationships critical to the organization’s success, including with elected officials, program administrators, foundation officers, non-profit leaders, policy advocates, and the media;
- Provide fiscal management by developing the organization’s annual budget and monitoring revenue and expenditures;
- Nurture existing, and develop new funding relationships to maintain and grow NHFPI’s annual operating budget of approximately $425,000;
- Foster and maintain a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment;
- Supervise, evaluate, and encourage growth of the organization’s four talented staff—a research director, policy analyst, communications manager, and communication and operations associate—and allow them the opportunity to deepen their expertise and knowledge on key issues.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
The ideal candidate is a dynamic and inclusive leader who is passionate about policy and research and understands the importance of sharing that information in an unbiased and independent fashion. The successful candidate will have a demonstrated record of effective leadership and fundraising, as well as managerial success and financial management.
- Appreciation for and experience with research and policy development
- Commitment to goals of racial and ethnic equity and inclusion
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Strong relationship building and collaborative leadership skills
- Experience with organizational operations
- Experience managing and nurturing a team in a respectful, empowering, and collaborative fashion
- Ability to build relationships with and secure funding from foundations, government, and nonprofits and to identify and secure funding from new funding sources
- Knowledge of state legislative processes preferred
- Knowledge of the New Hampshire policy and political landscape preferred
NHFPI expects to pay a base salary of $95,000 to $120,000 and offers a generous benefits package including employer-provided health insurance, 403(b) retirement plan benefits with employer-match, and paid vacation.
To apply please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Executive Director” in the subject line. Resume review begins immediately. Applicants are encouraged to submit materials by Monday, September 12 for full consideration. All applications will be accepted in confidence. The New Hampshire Fiscal Policy Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, or any other basis. NHFPI is fully committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and encourages candidates with diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply for this position.